We are running a series of felted fleece rug workshops during the summer months.
The workshop will be a full day, starting at 9am and ending at 5pm.
Maximum number of two participants per workshop.
Price per person: £175
The workshops will be one day in duration and take place here at our smallholding in Dumfries & Galloway.
If you’d like to attend one of the workshops but can’t make the dates, or, you’d like a private session then please email me to arrange: (email@example.com).
You will get to felt your very own fleece to take home and keep. We provide the fleeces, but if you’d like to bring your own, that’s not a problem, please just let me know.
The workshop will teach you:
- How to make a rug using a whole fleece, the “face down method”
- Which fleeces felt the best and why
- How to prepare your fleece prior to felting it
- How to felt your fleece
- How to wash out the lanolin
- How to clean and preen your fleece
- Lots of hints and tips
This is a practical workshop but you’ll also get loads of theory along the way. Come prepared for an upper body workout and wear your oldest clothes, felting is splashy, messy and physically demanding. We’ll start off learning about different fleeces and the reason why some felt better than others. Then we’ll prepare our fleeces for felting, I’ll show you how to skirt them and remove any wool we wouldn’t want in our rugs. I’ll explain about the perils of second cuts, what they are and why we need to watch out for them. Then we’ll get stuck into the felting using enormous rolling pins, hot water and soap. This is where the magic happens! Once we’ve felted our fleeces I’ll explain how to remove the lanolin and wash them. You will do the washing part at home otherwise you’ll be carrying a dripping wet sheepskin back with you which isn’t very practical. I’ll give you clear written instructions and a video link showing you exactly how to do this. I’ll also include info for you on how to clean and preen your fleece to get it looking absolutely fabulous!
There will be tea and coffee breaks and biscuits along the way, and a break for lunch and a natter, please bring your own packed lunch.
Included in the workshop:
- you will go away with a flashdrive containing detailed written instructions on what we cover in the workshop, and a also video showing you how to wash and beautify your rug.
- you will receive access to the downloadable instructions worth £35 – “How to make a rug using the face up method”. (This is the alternative way to make a rug so you’ll have another tool in your rug making tool bag).
- after attending the workshop you can email me any questions you might have when making your own rugs at home.
Cancellation & refund policy
You may cancel your place up to 7 days before the workshop and receive a full refund. Cancellations made beyond this can either be credited and used against another date, transferred to a friend, or refunded to you minus a 20% fee.